If anyone has information regarding the parents of Martha CORNELL (#6 below) or any other information about her or John CORNELL (#5 below) or my direct CORNELL family line, please contact me.
In some sources this family's name is also spelled CORNWELL or CORNWALL.
(1) Thomas CORNELL [Sr.], b. about 1594 probably in Essex, England, d. about 1657 in Portsmouth, RI; m., unknown in England, to Rebecca BRIGGS? (b. about 1600, d. 8 Feb 1673); they resided first in Boston, MA, then in Portsmouth, RI, then in Cornell's Neck, New Amsterdam (now Westchester Co., NY), then back in Portsmouth, RI; their children:
i. Sarah, b. about Mar 1623, d. 1703, m. 1st Thomas WILLETT, 2nd Charles BRIDGES, 3rd John LAWRENCE Jr.; ii. William, b. about Apr 1625, d. Jan 1628; iii. Richard, b. about 1626, d. Nov 1694, m. Elizabeth JESSUP; [#2] iv. Thomas [Jr.], b. about Oct 1627, d. 23 May 1673, m. 1st Elizabeth ____, 2nd Sarah EARLE; v. Rebecca, b. about Jan 1630, d. about 4 Feb 1713, m. George WOOLSEY; vi. Elizabeth, b. about May 1631, d. before 1637; vii. Kelame, b. about 1631-32, d. Oct 1632; viii. William, b. about Dec 1632; ix. John, b. about Jun 1634, d. about 1704, m. Mary RUSSELL; x. Ann, b. about Aug 1635, m. Thomas KENT; xi. Elizabeth, b. about Jan 1637, d. 1708, m. Christopher ALMY; xii. Samuel, b. about 1642, d. Feb 1715, m. Grissell?; xiii. Joshua, b. unknown; xiv. Mary, b. unknown.Thomas [Sr.] was a constable for Portsmouth in 1641 and an ensign in the Portsmouth Militia 1642-44.
(2) Thomas CORNELL [Jr.], b. about Oct 1627 probably in Essex, England, d. 23 May 1673 in Newport, RI; m. 1st to Elizabeth ____; they resided in Portsmouth, RI; their children:
i. Stephen, b. about 1656, d. before 1723, m. Hannah MOSHER / HARDING; ii. Thomas [III], b. about 1657, d. 14 Oct 1714, m. Susannah LAWTON; [#3] iii. John [Sr.], b. about 1660, d. unknown, m. Hannah ____; iv. Edward, b. unknown, d. 1708, m. Mary ____.Thomas CORNELL [Jr]. m. 2nd Sarah EARLE (b. unknown; daughter of Ralph EARLE & Joan AUSTIN); their children:
v. Sarah, b. about 1668, d. 25 Jun 1748, m. 1st John COLE, 2nd Zaccheus BUTTS; vi. (daughter), b. unknown; vii. Innocent, b. about 1673, m. Richard BORDEN.Thomas Jr. was a Deputy to the General Assembly of RI and held other government posts. He was tried, convicted and hanged for the supposed murder of his mother.
(3) John CORNELL [Sr.], b. about 1660 in Portsmouth, RI, d. unknown probably in Hempstead, Queens Co., NY; m., before 1684 probably in Hempstead, Queens Co., NY, to Hannah ____; they resided in Hempstead, Long Island, NY; their children:
i. John [Jr.], b. about 1690, m. Elizabeth WILTZIE?; [#4] ii. William [Sr.], b. about 1693, d. 30 Mar 1749; iii. Edward, b. about 1695, d. 1782; iv. Elizabeth, b. unknown, d. before 1717?, m. Joseph DEAN.
(4) William CORNELL [Sr.], b. about 1693 probably in Hempstead, Queens Co., NY, d. 30 Mar 1749 in Hopewell Twsp., Hunterdon Co., NJ; m. to wife unknown (possibly Elizabeth SMITH, daughter of Jeremiah & Anne SMITH); he resided in Hopewell Twsp., Hunterdon Co. [now Mercer Co.], NJ; his children:
i. Smith, b. 1718, d. 1772, m. Phebe ____; ii. William [Jr.], b. about 1720, d. 1791, m. Mary ____; iii. Hannah, b. about 1722, m. Edward? HUNT?; iv. Elizabeth, b. about 1723, m. Francis BLACKWELL; v. Mary, b. about 1724, d. 15 Aug 1813, m. William MERRELL; [#5] vi. John, b. about 1725, d. after 1749; vii. Benjamin, b. about 1726, d. Jan 1787; viii. Sarah, b. about 1728; ix. Charity, b. about 1730, m. Edward HUNT; x. Martha, b. about 1735; xi. Edward, b. 22 Feb 1737, d. 30 Apr 1784, m. Sarah BURT.William [Sr.] was a justice for Hunterdon Co. in 1728.
(5) ?John CORNELL, b. about 1725, d. after 1749; m. to wife unknown; he resided in Hopewell Twsp., Hunterdon Co. [now Mercer Co.], NJ; his children:
[#6] i. Martha, b. about 1750, d. 14 Mar 1841, m. David BALDWIN; ii. William, b. unknown; iii. Abraham, b. unknown; iv. Benjamin, b. unknown; v. Jonathan, b. unknown.Benjamin CORNELL (#4-vii above) mentions in his will his "niece Martha CORNELL, wife of David BALDWIN". Thus, it appears that Martha is a granddaughter of William CORNELL [Sr.]. I believe I have narrowed down the possibilities for her father to either John (#5 above) or an unknown son not mentioned in William [Sr.]'s will.
(6) Martha CORNELL, b. about 1750 probably in Hopewell Twsp., Hunterdon Co., NJ, d. 14 Mar 1841 in Hopewell Twsp., Mercer Co., NJ; m., 30 May 1775 in Hopewell Twsp., Hunterdon Co., NJ, to David BALDWIN (b. 16 Feb 1742, d. 18 Jan 1834).
NEW BOOKS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE:
This page maintained by Jack D. Mount
Last updated: 9 February 2007
Return to top of page
Return to Genealogy Resources Page
Return to first page of Jack Mount's Home Place
Genealogy Brick Walls Webring